, , , , ,



There are three sorts of student visas – . F-1, M, and J-1.

 1.     After a college or university has approved your application for a full time course/ program, they will send you a document called an I-20 form, which is the application form for  F-1 visa. 2.     The M visa is for students at technical schools. 3.     Exchange Visitor J-1: J-1 is for a short term consultation, training, research or teaching program. The organization sponsoring you will send an IAP-66 form, which is the application for J-1 visa.  

Is it necessary to switch H4 to F1 in order to study here?


·         No, it is not  obligatory to change your visa in order to study in US. You can legally study here on any visa status, as long as, you fulfill the conditions to get the admission.


·         a dependent visa holder cannot obtain any financial aid, and the one-year optional practical training, after completion of the course. You will be able to work on campus for some stipulated number hours on F1 visa.

 ·         On the other hand, if you study on H4/L2 status, then you will get the resident low fee benefit. Normally you automatically become the state resident, after completing 1 year of stay ( every college has a different set of rules regarding in-state fee classification – based on state residency. Being refused by one college does not necessarily mean that all colleges in the state will treat you as an out-of-state or international student. So, make sure you call them…also, check their website) But, if you plan to convert your visa status to F1, then you won’t get this benefit. You will be treated as a foreign student and thus will be charged heavy fee.