H4 visa holder may change to another type of Visa, as long as he/she qualifies and fulfils the requirements for the particular visa category.H1B” visa program is a temporary workers visa in “specialty occupations.” A specialty occupation requires the theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in the specific specialty (e.g., engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, computer sciences, medicine and health care, education, biotechnology, and business specialties, etc.). To qualify for the H-1B visa category, one must hold a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree, or the equivalent. The person must hold a U.S. equivalent 4 years bachelor’s or higher degree from an accredited college or university. If the foreign degree is 3 years bachelor’s degree , a 3 years of work experience in same or similar field /occupation can be considered to one year additional education.

There are several areas and categories which may qualify for specialty occupation like Engineers, Doctors/Physicians, Managers, Financial Manager, Analyst, Business Managers, Sales Managers, Art , entertainment, Lawyers, CPA, Architect, Health Care professionals, Technicians etc.

Getting a  H1-B visa

1. Find an employer in USA

2. Employer files the H1B petition for you with govt. authorities – Labour Department and USCIS.

3. Once the petition is approved, you are ready to work and live on H1 visa. Filing the petition involves hiring a lawyer and lots of paperwork.

Currently, H1B Total Quota is low at  65,000 for all the qualified people worldwide.
New Quota starts from April every year.
There is an additional quota for qualified people who have done there Master degree from USA. This quota is independent and additional to general  quota.